Many thanks to Kara Greenblott and Mary Olive Smith for their hard work in putting together this amazing video featuring members of Howard Center’s Arts Collective!
Current Arts Collective Exhibit
Artists from the Howard Center Arts Collective are excited to present their work for our 2022 Summer Show at the Fletcher Free Library for the month of July. We invite you to join us for a reception on the Library lawn on Wednesday, July 13th from 6-7:30pm!
The Arts Collective works collaboratively to ensure that there are opportunities for artists who have experience with mental illness and/or substance use challenges to connect, create, and exhibit work. We strive to create a supportive, non-hierarchical community that fosters mutuality, creative expression, and empowerment. We value the transformative power of the creative process on a personal, social, and systemic level, and we acknowledge that we are stronger when everyone has a voice. Photos (left to right) by Galen Knight, Steve Tall
What is the Arts Collective?
The Arts Collective is an alternative arts program that promotes wellness, self-esteem, and dignity by:
- creating a safe and nurturing space for artists to make art,
- exchange ideas and learn new techniques
- experience a supportive connection with other artists
- exhibit their artwork in public galleries & spaces
Who can participate?
Our community is open to adult artists who have lived experience with mental illness and/or substance use challenges, via their own personal lived experience, experience with family members or friends, or through their work. Artists of all levels are welcome. Some members are established artists who have sold their work. Others have recently begun making art and value the knowledge and encouragement of more experienced artists.
What does the Arts Collective offer?
Please join us for any of these activities:
- Mondays, 12:40-2:40 pm, ONE Arts Center, 72 North Champlain Street, Burlington. Open to all.
- Wednesdays, 1:00-3:00pm, Westview house, 50 South Willard Street, Burlington. Howard Center clients only. Art supplies are available free of charge.
The Collective meets every Thursday afternoon (12:00-1:00 pm) on Zoom to exchange ideas, share recent artwork, plan future activities, and socialize.
The Collective hosts monthly talks with professional artists of all mediums. These talks are open to the public and are recorded. All are welcome to join and ask questions.
- Three art shows per year at venues such as the Flynn Dog Gallery, the Amy Tarrant Gallery, the Burlington Record Plant, Union Station, the Fletcher Free Library, the SPACE Gallery, and the Metropolitan Gallery at Burlington City Hall.
- Ongoing exhibitions at 208 and 300 Flynn Avenue, Howard Center administrative offices.
Field trips took place every two months prior to COVID-19. Previous trips include visits to the West Branch Gallery, Burlington City Arts Gallery, Fleming Museum, T. Wood Gallery, Middlebury College Museum of Art, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Harvard Museum, Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museum, and the Hopkins Center for the Arts. Field trips will resume as soon as it is safe to do so.
Recent Arts Collective Artist Talk Videos
Artist Talk with John Killacky
Artist Talk with Hilary Glass
Artist Talk with Nikki Laxar
Artist Talk with Misoo Bang
Artist Talk with Beth Sightler
Artist Talk with Emily Anderson
Artist Talk with Rachel Lindsay
Recent Arts Collective Art Shows
Want more information?
Contact Artscollective@howardcenter.org with questions or to sign up for our mailing list and be notified of upcoming exhibitions, events, and other activities.