Many thanks to Kara Greenblott and Mary Olive Smith for their hard work in putting together this amazing video featuring members of Howard Center’s Arts Collective!
Current Arts Collective Exhibit
The Arts Collective Fall Show is on display until November 30 at the Metropolitan Gallery in Burlington’s City Hall. This is a themed show featuring members’ interpretation of the word ‘interwoven’.
The Arts Collective work for the 2021 Art Hop is still on display as well at the Innovation Center at 128 Lakeside Avenue in Burlington.
Photo by Anna Marie Mattson
The Arts Collective works collaboratively to ensure that there are opportunities for artists with lived experience to connect, create, and exhibit work. We strive to create a supportive, non-hierarchical community that fosters mutuality, creative expression, and empowerment. We value the transformative power of the creative process on a personal, social, and systemic level, and we acknowledge that we are stronger when everyone has a voice. Photos (left to right) by Galen Knight, Steve Tall
What is the Arts Collective?
The Arts Collective is an alternative arts program that promotes wellness, self-esteem, and dignity by:
- creating a safe and nurturing space for artists to make art,
- exchange ideas and learn new techniques
- experience a supportive connection with other artists
- exhibit their artwork in public galleries & spaces
Who can participate?
Our community is open to adult artists who have lived experience with mental health challenges or substance use disorder, via their own personal lived experience, experience with family members or friends, or through their work. Artists of all levels are welcome. Some members are established artists who have sold their work. Others have recently begun making art and value the knowledge and encouragement of more experienced artists.
What does the Arts Collective offer?
Please join us for any of these activities:
- Mondays, 12:40-2:40 pm, ONE Arts Center, 72 North Champlain Street, Burlington. Open to all.
- Wednesdays, 1:00-3:00pm, Westview house, 50 South Willard Street, Burlington. Howard Center clients only. Art supplies are available free of charge.
The Collective meets every Thursday afternoon (12:00-1:00 pm) on Zoom to exchange ideas, share recent artwork, plan future activities, and socialize.
The Collective hosts monthly talks with professional artists of all mediums. These talks are open to the public and are recorded. All are welcome to join and ask questions.
- Three art shows per year at venues such as the Flynn Dog Gallery, the Amy Tarrant Gallery, the Burlington Record Plant, Union Station, the Fletcher Free Library, the SPACE Gallery, and the Metropolitan Gallery at Burlington City Hall.
- Ongoing exhibitions at 208 and 300 Flynn Avenue, Howard Center administrative offices.
Field trips took place every two months prior to COVID-19. Previous trips include visits to the West Branch Gallery, Burlington City Arts Gallery, Fleming Museum, T. Wood Gallery, Middlebury College Museum of Art, Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the Harvard Museum, Isabelle Stewart Gardner Museum, and the Hopkins Center for the Arts. Field trips will resume as soon as it is safe to do so.
Recent Arts Collective Artist Talk Videos
Recent Arts Collective Art Shows
Want more information?
Contact Artscollective@howardcenter.org with questions or to sign up for our mailing list and be notified of upcoming exhibitions, events, and other activities.