We send our good wishes to all for your seasonal celebrations and offer some resources to help you celebrate sober this year. If you or a loved one need support, Howard Center’s main number is 802-488-6000 or our 24/7 First Call for Chittenden County crisis line is available at 802-488-7777. Help is here 24 hours a day, every day.
Tips for Celebrating Sober
- Plan Ahead: Identify potentially stressful situations ahead of time. Recognize that even some happy situations may cause someone to overindulge.
- Plan activities that don’t involve alcohol or drugs: Choose to spend time with close family who want to celebrate substance-free.
- Take care of yourself: Be sure to get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise.
- Plan an exit strategy: Understand your transportation options if you are away from your home and know where you’re staying so you can exit gracefully.
- Find a supportive crew: It’s important to have people who know your story, and to know that you can talk to them if things get tough. Scroll below for a list of resources; articles about substance use; and a listing of local, state, and national resources.
Howard Center, the State of Vermont, and several organizations throughout Vermont provide excellent programs to help you get (and stay) sober this year. Please click on the button below to get local, state, and national resources or to seek help.
Articles about Celebrating Sober
Information About Opiates, Marijuana, and More
The following videos include information presented by Howard Center staff and community professionals for our Community Education Series: