As we approach this season of celebration, Howard Center remains committed to offering support and resources for those who wish to celebrate sober. If you or a loved one need support, Howard Center’s main number is 802-488-6000, or our First Call for Chittenden County crisis line 802-488-7777 is available 24/7/365.
Help is Here.
Tips for Celebrating Sober
- Prepare for Potential Challenges: Acknowledge and plan for situations that could test your resolve, including celebratory events that traditionally involve alcohol.
- Embrace Sober Free Socializing: Engage in pastimes or gatherings that promote a substance-free lifestyle, such as outdoor activities, crafts, or cultural events.
- Prioritize Wellness: Balance rest with activity, ensure nutritional needs are met, and incorporate mindfulness or meditation to maintain focus on well-being.
- Establish Boundaries: Be clear with friends and family about your decision to remain sober and enlist their support.
- Craft an Exit Strategy: Have a reliable transportation method and a trusted contact on standby should you decide to leave an event early.
- Find Strength in Community: Connect with support groups or networks that celebrate sobriety, which can offer companionship and understanding during the holidays.
- Celebrate Milestones: Acknowledge the progress you or your loved ones have made in sobriety — no matter how small. Each celebration is a testament to strength and commitment.
- Supportive Dialogue: Maintain open communication with a confidant who can provide encouragement and perspective during challenging times.
Howard Center, the State of Vermont, and several organizations throughout Vermont provide excellent programs to help you get (and stay) sober this year. Please click on the button below to get local, state, and national resources or to seek help.
Articles about Celebrating Sober
Information About Opiates, Marijuana, and More
The following videos include information presented by Howard Center staff and community professionals for our Community Education Series: